- Musical ear (no need to be Mozart, but some basic sense of music is required)
- Knowing the nature of the game, and adapt music mood to mood of game (Sharp drums and metal guitar might not be the most suitable for game “Hello Kitty and Friends”)
- Suitable musical equipment. (in our case it will be a musical software / hardware)
The first two points doesn’t need explaining, therefore, let’s go to the third one.
Probably most complex music software is a digital audio workstation FL Studio. This application is a combination MIDI sequencer, digital audio sequencer, track editor and sound bank in one. Greatest strength of this application is the possibility of a combination of synchronizing multiple sources. It can be also used only as a track editor of already finished digital audio tracks, or just as a music editor for direct input of individual tones. The basic (native) philosophy is to create small sections of track (pattern) that in time organizing using the playlist. The sound of each instrument (channel) can be modified by a large number of effects and settings, which can be freely changed in pattern over the time.
FL Studio is consisting of five basic sections:
- Step Sequencer – Is a simple pattern editor that allows you to write directly in rhythm or by using Piano Roll entry allowing more tones simultaneously (chords). Allows multiple instruments for entry (channels) for each of the channels can be directly set using the controls Mute/Solo, panorama and volume.
- Playlist – Determines the order in which patterns will be played.
- Piano Roll – Advanced editor allowing entry patterns voices simultaneously.
- Browser – Loading samples (sounds) and presets (preset).
- Mixer – Creating and editing effects.
The individual components are described thoroughly in the individual image-line pages (I think very well) and I mean It does not make sense to duplicate what was written.
Following samples/motives I composed for demonstration of simplicity using FL-Studio. Each took me about 2-4 hours in the evenings (I’m no professional composer, nevertheless I did not use only the pre-prepared loop, so everything is original):
1. Romantic theme : Used original/internal FL Instruments
2. Chillout theme : Used original/internal FL Instruments
3. Trance theme : Used original/internal FL Instruments
4. Rap theme : Used FL Studio + Tone generator Yamaha Motif-Rack X5
5. Waltz theme : Used FL Studio + Tone generator Yamaha Motif-Rack X5
In conclusion we can only say that FL – studio can serve both beginners and professionals to facilitate and accelerate the creation of original music and thereby reduce the cost of game development 😉
This is guest post. Author is an amateur musician, you can contact him to order sound artworks for your games.
You are welcome to offer guest post ass well. We reserve the right to edit, change, or reject any posts that will be offered. You’ll be stated as an author.